Semola gives this bread a beautiful rustic flavor and color!
- Yield: 7 8oz loaves
- Prep Time: 24 hr
- Cook Time: 30 min
- Add the Caputo Semola and Caputo "00" Chef's Flour to your mixer using a dough hook attachment and mix for one minute on the 1st speed.
- Add the Caputo Lievito Dry Yeast and mix for one more minute on the 1st speed.
- Add your water and mix for approximately 4 minutes until all the flour is dissolved.
- Add your honey and mix for 2 minutes.
- Add your salt and mix for 3 minutes.
- Add your extra virgin olive oil and mix for 5 minutes or until the oil is incorporated into the dough and the dough starts to become smooth.
- Leave your dough in the mixing bowl and cover with plastic or a damp rag. Let it rest for 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes, using your fist, push out all the gases. Then, cover with plastic again, and let it rest for another 30 minutes.
- After the dough has risen for a second time, push all the gas out again and weigh the dough balls out to 226g each.
- Ball your dough balls, place them in a dough tray covered tightly, and let them rest in the refrigerator for at least 12 hours.
- 4 hours before you are ready to make the bread, remove the dough tray from your refrigerator to allow it to get to room temperature.
- Preheat your oven to 450F.
- After the dough has doubled in size, shape them into heroes and place them on a sheet pan with parchment paper coated with Caputo Semola. Lightly spritz the top with water and cover them with sesame seeds.
- Using a wet rag, cover the heroes and let them sit in a warm spot until they double in size (approximately 1 hour).
- When the heroes have doubled in size, remove the wet rags and score them using a bread lame or knife.
- Place the tray in the oven and spray your oven walls with water to create steam. Do this every 3 minutes for a total of three sprays of water.
- Bake for 20-30 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove the bread from the trays and place them on a cooling rack.
- Allow the bread to fully cool before serving.