Gluten Free Cannolis
Indulge in classic Italian cannolis, made glu- ten-free without compromising taste, featuring a crispy, homemade shell with a creamy ricotta filling.
- Yield: 20 cannolis
- Prep Time: 3 hr
- Cook Time: 10 min
*You will need a cannoli making kit (that includes a round dough cutter and tubes) and a pasta/dough sheeter for this recipe.
- Sift together the Caputo Gluten Free flour, sugar, cacao powder, and salt, and add them to the bowl of a mixer equipped with a paddle attachment. Combine on speed
- Add the egg and lard and mix on speed 1 until everything is well incorporated, about 2-3 min.
- Add the Chardonnay wine and mix for 5 min. This dough will be very crumbly and stiff.
- Remove the dough from the mixer and begin kneading it by hand for 10-15 min until it is smooth.
- Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and place it in the refrigerator for 30 min.
- After 30 min, remove the dough from the fridge, cut it in half, and dust it with Caputo Gluten Free flour.
- Using your pasta/dough sheeter, start with the largest opening and run the dough through. Fold the ends of the dough into the middle and make a book. Dust the machine with flour, adjust the space down, and run it through again. Continue to do this until you reach the smallest opening setting.
- Using a 4.5 in round dough cutter, cut circles, dust them with flour, and shingle them.
- Wrap the circles around a cannoli tube and seal the ends using an egg wash (to make an egg wash, whisk together one egg and 1⁄4 cup of water).
- Drop the shells into a 325°F deep fryer filled with Olitalia Frienn and fry for 3-5 min until golden brown.
- Let them rest for 10 min before removing the shell from the tube.
- Mix all the ingredients in a mixer with a paddle attachment until well incorporated (about 3-5min).
- Leave the mixture in the fridge for an hour before filling.
- Using a piping bag, fill the cannoli tubes from each end.
- Dust with powdered sugar and enjoy!