At Home Pepperoni Roman-Style Pizza

Sink your teeth into this cheesy and delicious pepperoni pizza adapted from the Roman in Teglia style that’s perfect for pizza night with the family! Fills 3 12’x16’ baking sheets.

  • Yield: 3 pizzas
  • Prep Time: 48 hr
  • Cook Time: 14 min


650g water, iced (container 1)
100g water, iced (container 2)
20g salt
Toppings (Per Pan)
30g Parmesan cheese
200g mozzarella
200g pepperoni
6 fresh basil leaves



  1. Add only the Caputo "00" Chef's Flour to your mixing bowl and place it in the fridge for 30 minutes.
  2. Using a stand mixer with a paddle attachment or a big bowl, add the Caputo Lievito Dry Yeast to the flour and mix on the slowest speed for 10 seconds.
  3. Take the 650g container of water, add 80% of it, and mix on speed 2. After 40 seconds, add the remaining 20% of the water and continue mixing on speed 2.
  4. After about 4 minutes, the mass should be thoroughly combined and no longer stick to the sides of the container.
  5. Add the sea salt followed immediately by 50% of the second container of water to the center of the dough and continue mixing on speed 2.
  6. After about 2 minutes or once the dough is combined and no longer sticking again, add the remaining 50% of the water to the outside of the dough, a little at a time.
  7. When the water is fully combined, slowly add the Olitalia Extra Virgin Olive Oil a little at a time.
  8. Continue mixing at a rapid speed (speed 2), and knead up to a maximum of 10 minutes until the dough is combined.
  9. Be careful not to overwork or overheat the dough during this process, which should take no longer than 24 minutes.
  10. Cover the dough to prevent it from forming a crust, and place the container in the fridge for at least 24 hours (48 hours is ideal).
  11. Take the dough out of the refrigerator and shape it into 600g balls.
  12. Cover and let it rise for another 5 hours at room temperature. 
  13. Place the dough ball on a 12"-by 16" oiled baking sheet. Hand-stretch it gently, making sure the dough is evenly stretched to all sides of the baking tray.

    Topping and Baking:

    1. Spread an even layer of Roman Style Pizza Sauce on the dough, leaving a ½” border around the edges.
    2. Bake at 500°F for 5 minutes on the bottom rack of your oven, then move it to the center rack and bake for another 5 minutes or until crust is golden-brown.
    3. When the pizza is ready, take it out of the oven, cool it down for 5 minutes using a bread cooling rack, then add Parmesan cheese, hand-pulled pieces of mozzarella, and pepperoni with fresh basil leaves,
    4. Bake again for 4 more minutes.
    5. Remove from the oven and cool for a few minutes before serving.

    Products Used In The Recipe

    Recommended Recipes

    About the Chef

    Meet Chef Domenico "Mimmo" Tolomeo

    Chef Domenico "Mimmo" Tolomeo

    Domenico “Mimmo” Tolomeo is a first-generation Italian American who comes from a long line of master bread makers from Italy’s southern region. He joined the Orlando Foods team as our Corporate Chef in July 2022, and is currently the co-owner of Taglio Pizza in Mineola, NY. Mimmo trained under Award Winning Master Pizzaioli Roberto Caporuscio and Giorgia Caporuscio, under whose guidance he received his certification from the Associazione Pizzaiouli Napoletani, the governing body of pizza makers in Italy. His accomplishments include being part of the World Pizza Champions, being the recipient of the 2019 Caputo Rising Star Pizzaiolo at the Infamous Caputo Cup, and being the Capo Pizzaiolo at the world-renowned Keste Pizza e Vino.