Indulge in an Italian classic with this struffoli recipe! These golden, bite-sized dough balls are fried to perfection, then coated in a warm honey syrup, sprinkled with colorful nonpareils, and served in the shape of a pyramid.
- Yield: 8 Muffin Cups
- Prep Time: 2 hr 30 min
- Cook Time: 10 min
- In a mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, sift in your Caputo "00" Chef's Flour, salt, and sugar. Mix on speed 1 for 30 seconds.
- Add the white wine and mix on speed 1 until combined.
- Next, add in your eggs one at a time and mix until they are incorporated before adding your next egg. Mix on speed 1 about 2-3 minutes or until all eggs are well incorporated.
- Lastly, add in your room-temperature butter in small pieces, lemon zest, and orange zest, and mix for 2 minutes on speed 1.
- Remove the dough from the mixer and knead by hand for about 5 minutes or until the dough has a smooth exterior.
- Cover the dough with plastic wrap and let it rest in the refrigerator for 2 hours.
- Remove the dough from the refrigerator and place it on a table lightly dusted with Caputo "00" Chef's Flour.
- Cut the dough ball into 8 equal parts and roll them out into ropes about 1⁄2 inch thick.
- Dust your ropes of dough with flour, then using a knife, cut the dough into 1⁄2 inch pieces and ball them by hand. Place them to the side, making sure they are always dusted with flour to prevent them from sticking to each other.
- In a heavy-bottomed sauce pan, add in your Olitalia Frienn Frying Oil about halfway up the pan and heat to 375F.
- Sift your dough balls and add them to the frying pan. Cook for about 2-3 minutes or until lightly golden brown, then place them on a tray lined with paper towels.
- In a separate saucepan, add in your sugar over low heat and cook for about 30 seconds or until it starts to melt, then add your water and stir. Once the sugar is completely melted, go ahead and add your honey.
- Cook for about 2-3 minutes, constantly stirring. Turn off the heat, add in your fried dough balls, and mix with a spoon until all the dough balls are coated in honey. Continue stirring for 1-2 minutes to help cool down the mixture.
- Arrange muffin cups in a tray and begin spooning in your struffoli, forming a pyramid shape. Then, quickly coat them with rainbow-colored nonpareil sprinkles.
- Serve and enjoy!