Southern Fried Chicken
Crispy, juicy, and well-seasoned, this southern fried chicken recipe is easy to make at home!
- Yield: 8 pieces
- Prep Time: 24 hr
- Cook Time: 30 min
Brine8 chicken thighs, boneless, skin on2 cups buttermilk1 teaspoon onion powder1 teaspoon garlic powder1 teaspoon paprika1 teaspoon pepper1 and 1/2 teaspoons salt
Flour Dredge3 teaspoons salt2 teaspoons pepper2 teaspoons garlic powder2 teaspoons cornstarch2 teaspoons baking powder
- Clean/rinse your chicken thoroughly, and pat it dry with a paper towel.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the brine ingredients: buttermilk, onion powder, garlic powder, paprika, black pepper, and salt until well combined.
- Place the chicken thighs in the buttermilk batter, making sure they’re fully covered. Wrap the bowl with plastic and place it in the refrigerator overnight.
- The next day, remove the chicken from the refrigerator.
- Heat a pot of cooking oil to 350F, making sure to use a thermometer.
- In a large bowl, mix together the dredge ingredients: Caputo "00" Chef's Flour, salt, pepper, garlic powder, cornstarch, and baking powder.
- Piece by piece, remove the chicken from the brine and drain any excess liquid. Place each piece of chicken in the flour bowl and coat it on all sides evenly, making sure no parts of the chicken are visible.
- Once the oil is up to temperature, place the chicken in the pan and cook it until the internal temperature reaches 165F.
- Remove the chicken from the fryer and place it on a paper towel to remove excess oil.
- Serve and enjoy!