Same-Day Burger Buns
Say goodbye to store-bought burger buns with our bun recipe that utilizes a Tangzhong: an Asian technique that results in softer bread!
- Yield: 8 buns
- Prep Time: 4 hr
- Cook Time: 18 min
- Combine the milk, water, and Caputo "00" Chef's Flour in a medium-size pot over medium heat, continuously whisking until the mixture becomes thick (approximately 30 sec.)
- Remove the mixture from the heat and add the Caputo Lievito Dry Yeast while continuing to whisk. Once the yeast has been combined, let the mixture sit for 10 minutes.
- In the bowl of your mixer, combine the Caputo "00" Chef's Flour, sugar, and salt and start mixing on a low speed.
- Gradually add milk and continue mixing for 1 minute.
- Add the tangzhong followed by 1 whole egg plus the egg yolk (make sure to save 1 egg for later).
- Once the tangzhong and eggs have been fully incorporated, gradually add the butter. (Your total mixing time will be 8-10 min.)
- Once your dough is ready, remove, cover, and keep in a warm spot for 1-1.5 hours to proof.
- Once the dough has doubled in size, remove it from the bowl, place it on the bench (counter) and divide it into dough balls that are 90-100g each.
- Place the rounded balls on a sheet pan, cover it with a towel or plastic wrap, and let them proof at room temperature for 2h (until they double in size).
- While the dough proofs, preheat your oven to 375 F.
- Once the dough has doubled, mix together 1 egg with a spoonful of milk to create an egg wash. Gently brush the buns with the egg wash mixture (optional: top with the seeds of your choice).
- Bake at 375 F for approximately 18 minutes.