Besciamella (Italian Bechamel Sauce)
A creamy sauce made of butter, flour, and milk, besciamella is a key ingredient in lasagna and can also be used in chowders and chicken pot pie filling to provide a creamy texture.
- Yield: 4 Cups
- Prep Time: 5 min
- Cook Time: 10 min
- In a saucepan over low heat, add the butter and stir until melted.
- Once it is completely melted, add your flour and whisk until it is well incorporated.
- Once the liquid is absorbed, slowly start to pour your milk in a little at a time, constantly whisking to avoid burning the besciamella.
- Continue to slowly pour in your milk until you achieve a thick consistency. The total process should take about 8-10 minutes.
- A great test to see if the besciamella is finished is to stick a spoon in the saucepan and draw a line down the middle using your finger. If it separates and holds, then your besciamella is ready to go!